Pullman Presbyterian Church
On August 13, 1882, a group of twenty-six Christians gathered in one of the rooms in the Market Hall of the Village of Pullman, Illinois, entered into “a covenant to walk and labor together as a Church of Christ,” adopted the government and discipline of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, elected, ordained, and installed elders and deacons, and adopted the name “The First Presbyterian Church of Pullman, Illinois.” Several years later, when the City of Chicago annexed the Village of Pullman, the name of the church was changed to PULLMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
The congregation worshipped in Market Hall for a time and later in the Greenstone Church, at 112th Street and St. Lawrence Avenue, erected and owned by George Pullman. Shortly after the turn of the century the Greenstone Church was sold to the Methodists and the Presbyterians worshipped in the halls of the Pullman Arcade. Although this was the site of church activities for over twenty years, It was never satisfactory and the congregation launched an effort to build a church of its own. Finally, with the financial help of the Presbyterian denomination and a substantial gift from Frank O. Lowden, Ex- Governor of Illinois, land was purchased and a building erected at 110th Street and South Park Avenue (now Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive) at a cost of $6,500. The congregation of 79 members dedicated their new home in 1919.
Over the years, as the church continued to reach out and minister to those in the community, the need to enlarge its facilities became evident. In 1948 ground was broken at a new location, 107th Street and South Park Avenue, and on July 18, 1948 Dr. Paul S. Johnson of the Church Extension Board sealed the box containing the history and many mementoes of the church in the corner stone. On Palm Sunday, April 10, 1949, the first service was held in the yet unfinished building. Services were held in Fellowship Hall for a couple of years until the sanctuary was completed and furnished.
In this day of concern for minority representation, it seems good to note that Pullman Presbyterian Church first accepted Blacks into membership in 1920 when Miss Lavinia Jane Jordon was received. The first woman ordained as a Ruling Elder was Mrs. Elizabeth Bassett in 1931. She was later elected by the Presbytery of Chicago as a delegate to the General Assembly.
Since 1967 the ethnic diversity of the co unity has given way to the most recent arrivals, Black families seeking a better life in a more stable community. Faithful to its historical commitment to its community and all who reside in it, Pullman Presbyterian Church has reached out to these new arrivals, who have responded with the same kind of devotion to the congregation and community as past members throughout the years
From its origin until now Pullman Presbyterian Church has been served by 26 ministers and Pulpit Supplies during some short periods. October 2006 Pullman Presbyterian Church moved from 10700 So. King Drive to our present location 550 E. 103rd Street. The congregation look beyond the celebration of Pullman’s 131st Anniversary with praise and thanksgiving to God Almighty whose ministry it continually strives to maintain in the neighborhood.